I’ve just started weaning Baby Bear. We’re on day 5 today, and we’re going to try avocado and banana today. Exotic.
There’s so much you can buy for weaning that it can be pretty overwhelming. I’ve been conscious not to go overboard as you could end up spending a small fortune. To start with you really don’t need that much, as your baby will be having little tasters once a day. One carrot could last you 3 or 4 meals!
As little lamb is a bit older, he is now on stage 3 weaning (or should be if he wasn’t so fussy!)
Click here for Alex’s recommendations and tips on weaning your baby (and also her questions and worries).
My recommendations for the first few weeks of weaning:
1. Alex has leant me this Annabel Karmel book. It’s such a nice read with easy recipes. It has a great introduction on weaning before leading onto the first stage recipes. A great starting book.
2. A hand blender. No need to go buy a brand new shiny food processor. All you’re going to be doing is making vegetable and fruit purees. A hand blender will work just fine.
3. A decent high chair. I tried to feed Baby Bear in her Bumbo. This.was.a.disaster. I had carrot all over my nice wooden floor and on daddy’s Xbox (shhh don’t tell him). Once I started using the highchair, it became much easier. I’ve got this Joie Mimzy one.
4. I’ve ‘invested’ in some mess mats. I really want Baby Bear to enjoy weaning. This means I have to let her get messy. I don’t like mess. This is testing my nerves. A mess mat is very welcome in my household.
5. I’ve purchased this Annabel Karmel Masher and Bowl. I’m not one for gimmacky products – but this one just makes sense. It’s nice and compact, and great for mashing bananas, avocados, papaya and peach. It’s great to take our and out with you too.
6. Storing pots. These are good for making ahead and freezing. Doing this means you only need to cook once or twice a week during the first stage on weaning.
7. Spoons and bowls. I don’t think you can go too wrong with Tommee Tippee. I have the TT weaning spoons, which are super soft and bendy. You can buy a Tommee Tippee Explora Weaning Kit, which includes everything you need. Perfect.
Don’t forget we want to hear about your experiences too. Share, share, share. This is what Lamb & Bear is all about!