I know, I know, these pregnancy updates have been pretty non existent, but I really don’t know what to tell you. Now I’m over half way I suppose I can start updating you on the changes happening to me and the progress of my pregnancy.
I’ll do my best to keep any updates I do interesting to read, but I’ll be honest, writing about pregnancy isn’t coming naturally to me!
I’m going to set myself some questions and hope to answer them for you fortnightly.
- How many weeks am I? Currently I am 23 weeks exactly!
- What are my symptoms? Right now I’m struggling with heartburn and I know it’s only going to get worse. I’ve finished almost a whole bottle of Gavison in 3 weeks! I’m also starting to ache a lot. Some of you may know I’m a work at home mum now. This week I designed 3 new prints for my children’s brand. Sitting in front of the computer for 24 hours was painful. Not only did I get backache but I also got bump ache! This last week I’ve started feeling tired again, which is a shame as over Christmas I really felt like I was glowing.
- How are my consultations/appointments going? So far I’ve had 2 consultations. I’ve had my bloods checked and unfortunately my thyroid has been fighting and working overdrive (for 8 weeks may I add, annoyed it wasn’t checked again sooner!) My meds have been increased and are now at the right dosage. This has helped me feel a little more human again. I’ll have a midwife appointment in 2 weeks, and again at 28 weeks where my thyroid will be checked again. My consultant has also booked me in for a growth scan at 34 weeks as an under-active thyroid can cause low birth weight (Lamb weighed 6lb 12 and was born at 40+3). I didn’t have an extra scan with Lamb, no one offered it to me!
- How are we preparing for baby boy’s arrival? Last week we were generously given a beautiful nursery wardrobe and toy box from a friend as she no longer needed them for her kiddies. This is a great help right now as money is tight and we really needed better space for clothes etc for when the 2 boys are sharing. We have decided to buy Lamb a mid sleeper cabin bed for his 3rd birthday in march to help him prepare for sharing his bedroom. Baby boy will be in a co-sleeper crib with us until he is ready to move into Lambs Cosatto cot bed. I have been grabbing a few items of clothing but not loads as we kept most of Lambs baby stuff.
- How am I feeling emotionally? In the first trimester I struggled with anxiety. I think this was a lot to do with my car crash and having to wait so long for my first scan. I’m happy to say the anxiety has passed and this past week I’ve been feeling super excited about having a newborn. I’ve been going through phases of feeling quite impatient. I find myself snapping at Lamb and instantly thinking why? I definitely snap at my husband more too, and I feel awful afterwards, but I have to take my bad mood out on someone! I do find the impatience comes and goes, and tiredness doesn’t help. Does anyone else struggle with this? Overall, I mostly feeling positive about having a second child!
- What’s baby up to? He’s certainly a wriggler! I feel him lots daily. He actually chilled out a bit over the last couple of weeks, but he’s back to his normal self and kicking lots. I also get a weird feeling where my tummy goes a little bit tight and I can almost feel him turning, rather than kicking. It lasts a few seconds then fades. It’s not painful, just a little strange! I’ve also felt him on my bladder! Yesterday he must of kicked directly on my bladder because for half I second I thought I was going to wee myself! I’ve seen the first proper kicks and managed to film a little bit. Head over to my Instagram account if you want to see!
- Big brother update? Lamb is being so lovely towards his baby brother right now. This morning he woke up at 7am and came into bed for a cuddle. After a while he asked to cuddle baby and shuffled down onto my bump! He loves talking about sharing his trains with his baby brother. He often says “I want him” and asks if he can come out, but understands when I tell him he’s not big enough yet. He jokes about mummy’s fat belly and laughs at my ‘outy’ belly button!
- Anything else? I’ve never really struggled with strong cravings, but every now and then I get a couple. Recently I’ve craved milk. I craved milk with Lamb and I’ve found myself wanting it lots during this pregnancy, but every now and then I get real cravings for it and down a few pints each day. I’ve also craved apples. Last night I had 2 for dinner and another today. I think my body and the baby needs me to be super healthy for a couple of days every now and then, because if I’m honest, I’m rubbish at being healthy every day. Some days I just want carbs! My bump popped a while ago, but I feel I’ve stayed the same for the last couple of weeks. I think because I’m bottom heavy I look (and feel) massive, but I don’t think my bump is much bigger this week. I don’t know how much weight I’ve gained, and to be honest I don’t want to know! I’ve finally had my hair down for the first tim since I cut to off and dyed it pink for charity in July!
I can’t really think of anything else to update you on. If there’s anything you want to know please ask! I’d love to write about this pregnancy more often, I just struggle to write things down!