Welcome to the last instalment of ‘what’s in my hospital bag?’ This post is all about what I’m taking for myself. You can read about what I’m taking in my toiletries hospital bag and baby’s hospital bag in previous posts.
As my toiletries are in a little separate bag (it’s too big to fit in my main bag) the majority of this list is the clothing I’m taking.
Because I’ve been told I carry strep b there’s a strong chance I’ll have to stay in hospital at least 1 night while baby is being checked for infection. I’ve packed my bag with that in mind, however when Lamb was born we stayed in 2 nights because of latching problems, so if this happens with baby number 2 I may have to stay in longer.
The bag I am using for my things is the BabyBeau Isabelle bag which I bought from Very. I love this bag and I’m really happy that I bought it. It has a removable insert (which I’ve taken out while I’m using the bag for my things) which has lots of compartments, a changing mat, bottle holder etc. All in a lovely tan faux leather. I’ll do a separate review on this bag once I’ve used it with baby.
So onto my list of clothes…
- 2 cheap, black towels for the first shower (it can be pretty messy so I’ll throw them away once I’m home). I bought these from Poundstretcher for around £7 for both.
- I’ll also take another towel in case I stay in longer, but will leave this in the car.
- Slip on cheap slippers for walking to and from the bathroom. Ideally buy ones with rubber soles that won’t soak up water (the shower room is well used so always wet). These are from Matalan and cost £4.
- 2 pairs of socks and 1 pair of thick slipper socks. (Old pairs).
- 5 pairs of cheap, big, black pants. £6 from Sainsburys.
- 1 long sleeve black maternity t-shirt (I gave birth to Lamb wearing this top so that’s why I’ve packed it), and 1 nursing vest. The long sleeve top is from George at Asda and the vest was from Matalan (both kept from my first pregnancy).
- 1 nursing sleep bra and 2 nursing bras. The sleep bra is from The Essential One and was £7.99 in the sale and the 2 nursing bras are from Debenhams (can’t remember price).
- Lightwight dressing gown from Matalan. This cost around £12.
- Button front nightshirt. £12 from Matalan.
- Navy striped, loose fit trousers that can be worn as either pyjamas or casual pants. These were £7 in the Next sale.
- Maternity pyjamas. These were my favourite maternity purchase in this pregnancy. They were from ASOS and so comfy!
- Maternity bikini which I’ve forgot to photograph! Just incase I get to use the birthing pool.
- I also have a hand fan and cooling spray in my bag, although these may fit in my toiletries bag.
- I have packed nipple shields in this bag as they don’t fit anywhere else. Using sheilds was the only way I could get Lamb to latch (after 2 days of trying) so I’m taking them to be well prepared.
- I’ll also chuck in some breast pads as I had very leaky boobs after Lamb was born!
- I will also have a back up breast pump in the car.
I think that’s it for my hospital bag. If I’ve missed anything please let me know.
Baby is fully engaged and has been for a couple of weeks but seems to be happy just sitting there! Midwife thinks he will be early but we all know these babies like to come in their own time! If he’s not here by my dute date I’ll be having a sweep and hoping to kick start things.
Either way by the end of this month baby boy will be here!